TOXIC !!!

After working a whole year in a restaurant as part timer, it finally closes the door end of December 2014.... yes I am officially unemployed. I need to start my "réinscription" (re-register in their system) to Pole Emploi (Employment Agency in France). Now, I am part of the system and and it will help me find a job. The agency provides me with financial aid. Lucky me! Their mission is to receive those that have declared unemployment. It supports us with social benefits gives advices and supervises job hunting, as well as providing a platform to help companies find and hire workers. However, this does not mean that it's unlimited. We have the right to receive monthy allowance during first 2 years while looking for a job. Of course they provide limited financial aid.

It's really hard to find a job in France as they have an  unemployment rate of  10.5%  as of July 2015. Even newly graduates couldn't find a job and it becomes a problem in the society of today. Before working as contractual I went to several interviews. Some companies are looking only for replacements during  summer vacation or they're looking for  young and and native french speakers without an accent. One fine day I got a call from my friend who is a viticulture. She told me she has a client who's into wine whole sale business and urgently looking for a part time secretary. He needs someone to work every  from 8:30 in the morning until 1 o'clock in the afternon. Bingo, I said to myself !!! A perfect job for me because I will only work 5 hours a day and I still can bring and pick up the kids at school. Well mommy duties are assured on that side.


I submitted my CV and motivation letter that I am interested. He asked me to come for an interview. During the interview, well I couldn't really tell it's an interview...it very casual. It's like we're just talking and he didn't even asked me about my employement history etc. Finally, he was telling me what the job is all about. It's quite simple, I just need to call the clients and ask for their orders. Check emails, answers  incoming mails/calls and other material, and prepare answers to routine letters etc. 

Before we ended the interview I asked him clearly if I got the job. He told me that his ex secretary is still employed and he's in the process of firing her. Bureaucracy in France is just legendary. It will take time to process everything and it is equivalent to time wasted. Things are never clear between us when I left his office. Before that, I told him that I am still working as a contractual with the other company and my contract will be terminated  on March 7 2015. He told me he will call me and update me of the process.  A week passed I got a call from him asking me if I can come for 2 hours so I can familiarised myself on the job. To make the story short, I went and spent 2 hours to learn everything about the job. He was is a bit weird... someone who is off the wall. He's kinda obnoxious bully boss who rule by intimidation. Something is not just right. Before I left, I again asked him if am I hired, he said he will call me, and keep you updated alright ! 

On the other hand, on the day I terminated my contract with the other company I was all the time waiting for his call. I never received a call from him after a week or so I thought I didn't get the job. One Monday morning, after bringing the kids to school I got call but I never answer calls when I drive. As soon as I got home it was him who called me and left me a message that he was surprised not to see me working on that day ! So it was my fault he cannot do the sales call. What ??? I cannot believe he told me that. So I promptly called him back. His tone implied that it was my fault and I didn't appreciate the treatment. I even told him that things are never clear if I am hired ot not. I decided to make an email telling him I regretfully decline the job offer. I have realised no wonder his previous secretary left without saying a word  he can be difficult to work with...the proof ! He never bother to email me back, well if that's how he mesures professionalism I don't think no one  will be happy to work with him.

Comments